The Svt Contour was a highly modified version of Ford's variant of the European Ford Mondeo. The special vehicle team went all out changing the Body, Interior, Drivetrain, Suspension, and Brakes. They first came on the market on 08/29/1996, They built exactly 11,445 before their last job on 02/04/2000.
Through the three years or production only slight changes where made to the models.
These changes began around 12/05/1997, You will still find some Svt's made after this date with parts Svt had left over. Most of the changes were small and did not make much difference. The biggest change allowed the Duratec to make 200 hp, Instead of the 195 hp from previous years.
Listed below are modifications done to the Svt Version.
Body and Interior
- SVT-specific front bumper(for enhanced cooling),rocker sill extensions,rear bumper
- SVT mesh front and lower grills
- SVT emblem on rear left trunk
- SVT-marked floor mats
- Leather shift and emergency brake boot
- White face gauge cluster
- Leather sport seats front and back (Midnight Blue or Tan)
- Changes to the camshaft include a longer duration and a complete change in valve timing points.
- Higher compression: 10:to1(SVT) vs 9.7(normal)
- Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was more aggressively tuned and required premium fuel.
- Larger throttle body (60 mm vs 54 mm). Lifted from the 3.0L Duratec.
- 19lbs Fuel Injectors.
- Upper intake manifold was extrude honed increasing cfm flow. (From 165 stock to 185 cfms)
- Lower Intake manifold was enlarged (From 32/33mm to 33/34mm for the svt model)
- SVT specific Clutch.
- A water to oil, oil cooler to keep control of oil temperatures during performance driving.
- A radiator with a thicker core for better cooling(lifted from Saudi models).
- Different air filter and intake (cone style using same air filter as V6 Mustang).
- A lighter flywheel(from 21 lbs to 19 lbs.)
- A larger-diameter, quasi-dual exhaust.
Suspension and Brakes
- Front rotors were enlarged to 278mm vs the 260mm stockers.
- Stiffer shock tuning.
- Smaller front swaybar (down to 19mm).
- 16-in. five spoke wheels (1998MY)
- 16-in. SVT Cobra-style wheels (1998.5 to 2000MY)
- Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires, size 205/55ZR16 (1998MY)
- Goodyear Eagle F1-GS tires, size 205/55ZR16 (1998.5MY)
- BFGoodrich g-Force KDW tires, size 215/50ZR16 (1999 to 2000MY).
- Lighter SVT Edition Wheels
(These lists were sourced from wikipedia, Link listed under the link tab)